Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Traveling

I have been blessed with a fantastic job that allows me to travel around the world photographing weddings. As I am packing today for Riveria Maya, Mexico, I wanted to blog a little bit about traveling since I have been fortunate enough to be traveling so often the last several months.

There is no real outline to this blog, just some random thoughts and tips for anyone that might be traveling in the future.

In roughly the last year I have photographed a wedding or vacationed to: Las Vegas, Nevada, Puerto Rico, Aruba, The Bahamas, I am heading to Riveria Maya Cancun Mexico tomorrow, and Las Vegas again on Sunday, also will be photographing a wedding in Aspen Colorado in March, and lastly will be shooting in Cabo San Lucas Mexico in May.

Here are a handful of my travel Tips:

-Print out any itinerary you may have with flight numbers, boarding times, and lay overs, also hotels, shuttle/transportation, and highlight anything that is important like phone numbers or addresses for your taxi or bus driver.

-Most of the time I think the two hour rule before traveling is bogus, however being a little less stressed by having to sit at your gate for an hour and a half is better than being stressed and having to run to your plane. I have seen people sleeping on their chairs waiting to board the plane, and I have also been in the jetway waiting to board and a couple people come into the jetway panting like they just ran a mile.
-So to ease the stress of being late, show up a few hours early and get to your gate and relax

-When you go through a security check point at an airport, wear slip on shoes, or sandals obviously if it's warm enough, but know that you have to take off your shoes, and if you have a baggy sweatshirt or jacket of any type you have to take that off as well.
Obviously take off any watches, empty your pockets of everything, and its funny because some people that I see go through, they forget to take off their watch and empty their pockets..It saves time if you go to the checkpoint READY.
So, have your shoes off before you get to the line, have your sweatshirt or jacket off, don't wear a belt unless you need to, and if you do wear one, take that off before you get to the line, have your laptop out of its case.
-This one is crucial...DO NOT ARGUE WITH TSA...YOU WILL NOT WIN. I see people trying to argue with TSA members all the time, YOU ARE REDICULOUS-DO NOT ARGUE YOU WILL NOT WIN THAT ARGUEMENT.

-Bring an ipod with a movie on it and some good music to listen to or watch on your flight, if you dont have the ability to pass out on every flight like I do, bring your ipod or MP3 player.

**ANOTHER BIG ONE** BRING A SET OF MEMORY FOAM EAR PLUGS they are under $2 at Target or Wal-Mart. Plan for the worst of having to sit next to a newborn or infant child that is crying, screaming, yelling the whole flight..You will sleep much better not being able to hear them. EAR PLUGS

-If you get motion sickness like my lovely wife, or just want to pass out and sleep for your entire flight....Take 5-7 shots of Tequila just before you board your plane..NO IM JUST KIDDING...Get some tylenol PM or dramamine and take two of them 15 minutes before take off, you will sleep through take off and wake up at landing :) Trust me, I've tried it.

-Lastly, I think traveling for the most part is NOT stressful for me, I love traveling. Going through security, customs, having all of my camera equipment searched, to be is not a big deal, give the airport employees a break ,they are doing their job to keep everyone safe. Take a load off, relax, be early, be prepared, and keep in mind that your plane isn't going anywhere without you, unless you are 10 minutes late for departure.

Off to Mexico for 4 days, then Vegas for 3, then coming home to finish packing and cleaning and my wife and I are moving to Hudson Wisconsin March 1st. Have a great week everyone, stay tuned for Mollie + Jesse - The Riveria Maya, Mexico Wedding and Trash the Dress.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment