Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A walk with Drake

Being a professional photographer my winter season is usually pretty dead. So what I did this off season was raise and train our black lab pup Drake. I suprised Heather with him the day after Thanksgiving, and I actually got him from one of her family friends in Baldwin. When we go to her parents, we usually meet up with Walker his black lab brother, and Porter his yellow lab brother for play dates and they get to wrestle and roll around.

Drake is a very smart dog because I got to spend so much time with him this winter training him. As of right now, he just turned 7 months old and knows his right and left hands, can sit and stay, while he waits to fetch the stick and tennis balls, and he can sit patiently with a treat on his nose and wait for my command before he snatches it off his nose.


As soon as it started getting nice out, I've been taking him for runs down these trails behind our apartment complex's that have little creek beds he can run around him, and some of them are deep enough where he has to swim across. I usually run him just over a mile one way, and then we turn around and come back. His nose goes crazy in the woods with all the new smells, he chases after birds and squirrels and loves fetching sticks in the creek.




I've taken him out on the river in the boat twice now, and for some reason he always finds sticks that are just as big if not bigger than he is. It's kind of funny I'll be ahead of him either running or on my bike, and I'll turn around and he'll be running with a huge limb in his mouth trying to catch up to me.



The day in the life of Drake, he's got it made, excersise every day, treats for being smart, lots of attention from Heather and I, and play dates with his brothers. Also he's been to diggity dog daycare on French Island by the airport. Diggity Dog is AMAZING, AH MAAZZING. Drop him off in the morning, pick him up at 6, they take no naps there and play with all the dogs ALL day long so by the time you pick him up, he is pooped, sleeps all the way home, and most importantly ALL NIGHT LONG. Thanks for stopping in guys!

4 comments:

  1. drake is SOOOOO cute! :) i love how he poses for the pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drake usually listens pretty well. sometimes not....but he does good when it's just me and no distractions. His attention span is like a 2 year olds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jared i love the pictures and u r so lucky to have such a good dog....he takes really good pics too...u want to train my dog wen i get one lol....jk...but good work jared

    ReplyDelete
  4. CUTE! It sounds like you both love him so much! I think he likes getting his picture taken too! haha

    ReplyDelete