Monday, October 25, 2010

Heather + Jared - A Wedding Photographer's perspective of his own wedding

As a wedding photographer myself knowing how weddings go every weekend with their time lines, with the wedding pretty much revolving around when pictures are scheduled, have to be at hair appointments at 9am, go there in 10 minutes, cut the cake at 6:30pm, first dance 8pm ,have to do posed family portraits before or after the ceremony, sometimes all before etc, etc. October 16th, 2010, couldn't have went any smoother than it did.
Since I know how I would want most of my wedding clients to do things, Heather and I did just that. We wanted to have as much time alone with our photographer, Jodee from Life and Style Photography (www.Lifeandstylephotography.com) as we possibly could for our private/romantic session. We did ALL of our family posed portraits before the wedding ceremony so we could have more time with Jodee after the ceremony before the reception.

One of the most fun things to do is have their "Moment" when the bride and groom first see eachother in private. It's fun to set up, and just to see the excitement and emotion with the groom's first reaction when he turns around to see his gorgeous bride for the first time in her wedding dress.

It was so different for me to be on the other side of a wedding for once. Jodee set me up outside for our first moment alone and for my first time seeing Heather in her wedding dress. I was anxious, excited, wasn't so nervous, just because I knew when I turned around I would see the perfect bride, finally my bride. She was perfect, hair, make up, lips, smile, her dress, everything. It was so perfect.
Before posed portraits in the church Jodee and her husband Brent, photographed the girls alone, guys alone, then everyone had a little down time to grab a bit to eat, and take a load off. After getting some food and relaxing, they took Heather and I outside for a quick session with just the two of us.
The ceremony was very special, very special to me standing there waiting for my bride to walk down the isle. For once, I wasn't stressed as the bride walked down the isle incase I accidentally bumped my on/off switch on my camera or my flash wasn't firing as it should....I was standing up front, looking at everyone around me, knowing they were all there for Heather and I on our special day. I tell my wedding couples every weekend, a couple times throughout the day just stop and look around and take it all in, everyone is there for them. This time, it was for us. I stopped and looked around so many times on October 16th, what an amazing feeling to see that my close friends and family took time off work, spent money on gifts, food, hotels, travel, dresses and tuxedo's just to see us.

Heather and I got married in Eau Claire, and no she isn't from Eau Claire, but it's half way for both families to travel, her family is from Baldwin-Woodville area and mine from Holmen/ La Crosse area. With my wedding schedule, and her familie's farming schedule, we had a few dates to choose from and October 16th, 2010 in Eau Claire it was.

I found Jodee on google, I typed in Eau Claire wedding photographer. I wanted to hire someone I didn't know, because I wanted them to concentrate on doing their job, not being friends with me, and that relatively knew the area. A lot of people would ask or talk to me about having me so many ideas for my wedding photographer to do for my wedding.

On my wedding day, I wanted to get married, not work. When we met with Jodee to shoot our engagement pictures I told her that I wasn't going to have any ideas for her because I was on vacation. I hired her because she as a very simular style to mine and that her work was good. It's a lot of stress to put on her shoulders to photograph a professional wedding photographer's wedding and having to live up to my standards as far as images go. Her and Brent did nothing less than a fantastic job capturing our day through THEIR vision, not mine :)

Jodee thought it would be a fun idea to take pictures of me taking pictures of my bride, and then to post the images I photographed of Heather.
Our wedding day was so special to both Heather and I, we couldn't have asked for a better turn out.I have a bunch of Thank you's I wanted share with everyone:

First off to both sets of our parents, Mike and Kay for making our special day happen and for raising such an amazing daughter. The way she cares for people, and puts everyone before her, the life and career goals she has, and her good morals. You've raised such a warm-hearted person and I can't wait to spend my life and start a family with her with you guys by our sides. To my parents for rehersal dinner on Friday, and for bringing me up the way you did to have goals and morals as well. Heather and I couldn't have done it without any of you, thank you and we love you.

For all of my close friends and family that made the trip to Eau Claire that spent their time and money to be a part of our day. To all of the wedding party for being their to support Heather and I, not just on our wedding, but day in and day out in our every day lives, you are very important to us.

To Chad and his brother for DJ'ing, being in charge of the entertainment on Saturday night, we both appreciate you guy's making the trip to be a part of our special day.

To one of my biggest mentors, Bob Mulock, for all of your support throughout the last 6 years and being one of the biggest reasons of my success as a professional photographer. Thanks Bob, there is no way I could ever re-pay for you everything you've done for me!

To my other photographer mentors just to name a few, Erik Daily, Pete Thomson, Eric Wuennenberg, thanks for all of your help, also couldn't have done it with you guys in my life.

To Jodee and her husband Brent from Life and Style Photography (www.Lifeandstylephotography.com) for taking on the stress and shoulder weight for photographing a professional photographer's wedding. Also to Jodee for putting up with all of my jokes about how you over edit...but it's O.K. Brent and I will make sure you figure it out within the next couple of years so you can catch up from your 2001 wedding clients that haven't gotten their pictures back yet ;) kidding....

Last but not least, I want to thank my wife. Heather, I wouldn't be the person I am without you in my life. You've made me realize what true love is. Thank you for putting our entire wedding together (- the photographer, that was my only job). Everything at the wedding was amazing, you picked out and did everything on your own with some help from both Mom's, Kay and Nancy. Through all of the stress from wedding planning, you hung in there, put up with my crap, worked full time, cleaned the house, made dinner, and you still found time to spend with me on the side. I love you with all my heart and will do anything to make you happy as long I live. You're the best friend anyone could have, and I am proud to say you are mine.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Jared! I would love to see the rest of the photos someday. Congratulations...and what a beautiful bride you had!! Kiley and I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures - but did we expect anything less?! Your write up about your special day is so sweet...Congrats again guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jared... You are welcome! We had a great time. I was the perfect dance to end our 2010 season with.

    ReplyDelete