Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Aaron + Delaine - The Wedding

Aaron is my first cousin on my Mom's side and had asked me to photograph his wedding a couple months after they were engaged while they were looking for a photographer, and I told him I'd rather come and relax as family member instead of having the stress of being the photographer, and not really getting to enjoy myself. They obviously completely understood, and they hired a professional photographer (Kristen Anne Photography) out of Minneapolis area.

Aaron and Delaine's wedding was in Chanhassen Minnesota, just west of Minneapolis at the American Classic Ballroom and Event Center. What a neat place, their ceremony and reception were in the same room. Aaron is a very unique/crafty individual and has always done magic (not the lame thing adults do to kids, "oh I found a quarter behind your ear" ) Aaron has pulled off some amazing tricks that you wouldn't believe. So knowing that about Aaron, I expected nothing less than a super creative/unique wedding, and sure enough they had a Carnival themed wedding. When we walked in the door, there was a Jill in the box, and Ace of hearts on stilts (REAL PEOPLE). They had a candy bar, cotton candy hanging from the pillars like something you'd see at a fair, atleast 100 bags of cotton candy, I dug into the M&M's and the whole jar of gummy bears :)


During the ceremony I sat at my seat which was almost next to Aaron and Delaine when they were up at the alter, shot a couple of them during a slideshow they made, and also snapped a few of my aunt Ann and uncle Bob's reactions to the slideshow.


A few weeks before their wedding I emailed Kristen, their photographer letting her know I was Aaron's cousin, and a professional photographer out of La Crosse coming to his wedding and was going to bring my camera just to goof around and shoot for fun, and she was so nice about it. Super nice lady, met her husband and got to talk a little photography with the two of them, even borrowed my fisheye lens to Kristen to try out and play with a little during the ceremony. As a professional, I didn't want to take any business away from her, so I told her I wouldn't give Aaron and Delaine anything until their order was complete with her.

After the ceremony I asked Kristen if I could take Aaron and Delaine outside next to the building for a 5-10 minute portrait session, and she was cool with it so I grabbed them for literally no more than 10 minutes and got a quick portrait session in.

However, outside all I had to work with was an alley. One side was the hotel, the other, the reception hall. Looking down one way to the alley there was a little driveway type that was more of a hill than anything, in the background of that was my car and others in the parking lot, a light pole, and a strip mall type structure beyond that. So I had to be quick, creative, and efficient with my 10 minutes before food was served, so I kicked it into gear and came up with these images:

It was so nice to see some family that I haven't seen in quite some time, was able to catch up with both aunts, Barb and Ann, and also both uncles, Bob and Kelly. Also got to have a few drinks with my love, Heather and parents. Good trip to Minneapolis last weekend. Congrats Aaron and Delaine, hope to see you soon -Trash the dress maybe??? :)

1 comment:

  1. Jared, It was great to see you and meet your finace at the wedding. What great shots you took. It is really difficult to capture people in photographs in ways that make them seem alive and vibrant. Weddings must be particularly difficult since you want the love to show through. I think your photos of Delaine and Aaron succeeded. Kelley

    ReplyDelete